Learning the Ropes for Living with MCI® Workshop Registration
Learning the Ropes for Living with MCI® is aimed at community dwelling older adults experiencing Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) and their close relative. The focus is on optimizing cognitive health through lifestyle choices, memory training, and psychosocial support. The immediate goals of the program are to improve healthy lifestyle behaviours in all participants, memory strategy knowledge and use in participants with MCI, and adaptive coping skills in close relatives (family/friend). The overarching long term goals are to prevent or delay the onset of clinical dementia in persons with MCI and to prevent or minimize physical and mental health declines in their close relative. The content of this evidence-based program is crafted to meet the specific needs of people living with MCI based on the most current research. This workshop provides healthcare professionals with an in-depth understanding of MCI and the necessary background and training to deliver an effective group intervention targeted to the specialized needs of those affected by MCI.
Workshop Date & Time:
November 16th, 2018 from 10:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. (EST)
- Review how MCI differs from normal aging and dementia, and gain an appreciation of how cognitive processes are typically affected in these groups
- Acquire first-hand experience with utilizing practical strategies for improving everyday remembering and learn how to effectively communicate this knowledge to others
- Learn how to engage individuals in a group intervention in a manner that facilitates their ability to make behavioural changes targeted to promote positive cognitive health outcomes
- Gain an understanding of how lifestyle factors such as exercise, diet, and social involvement impact brain health
- Develop an appreciation for how MCI impacts the lives of people experiencing the condition AND about the impact of MCI on the lives of close relatives
- Understand how to capitalize on flexibilities built into the program protocol to facilitate skill in best meeting the needs of those served
Who might this workshop be suitable for:
How this will work?
- This will be an interactive workshop that will require your active participation throughout.
- Requirements necessary to participate in this online workshop include: Laptop / desktop computer with an internet connection (connection test and system requirements). Microphone and speakers or headset.
- Upon registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions for accessing the event. Registration entitles you to one connection that cannot be shared. Suggested login time: 9:30 A.M.
- Workshop slide handouts will be emailed in advance.
- CE credits are available.
- A certificate of participation will be provided to those who register and participate.
- Online feedback survey link will be provided.